Received from: Taiwan
Category: Postcrossing - official card
Date: October 2011
Distance: 8534 km
Time of travelling: 19 days
Chihkan Tower, formerly Fort Provintia in West Central District, Tainan City was built in 1653 by the Dutch during their colonization of Taiwan. The fort was surrendered to Koxinga. Since 1945 the site has been known as 'Red-topped Tower'. This name derives from the Taiwanese aboriginal word Chakam. In addition to the site's architectural and artistic significance, its library of dictionaries and business transactions documents the Siraya language spoken by the native inhabitants of the region during Dutch rule.